Your newly installed WordPress installation will come with the default WordPress themes installed (TwentySeventeen, TwentySixteen etc).
TwentySeventeen is a quality theme with a focus on business.
When considering a theme:
- Ensure the theme is mobile responsive
- Evaluate the accessibility of your website
- Ensure there is a support option or at least very good documentation
- Ensure the theme supports drop down menus if that’s a requirement
- Focus on layout rather than colours and images etc. Typically theme previews have beautiful images and look amazing, but when you load up your theme it will look very bare and stark.
- Simple is better
- Themes with heaps of build in options are often very bloated and not very performant
- Page builders often add another level of learning, are bloated and add messy unnecessary code. They also make it very hard to change themes.
- Search for the theme name on Google to see what people are saying about it/questions they are asking
- Downloading sample data (if available) is often helpful with obtaining the look of the preview.
Where to find themes
- The WordPress Theme Directory free themes
- Studio Press Genesis Framework
- Theme Forest premium framework with fantastic themes and great instructions.
- Template Monster